Running a keeper from Keep3r Network on Defender

Hey everyone! After the huge splash caused by Andre’s post on running a Keep3r on Defender, we set out to add features to Defender to make the process easier, and compile a step-by-step guide to simplify the process.

What’s the Keep3r Network?

The Keep3r Network is a decentralized network that incentivizes executing jobs on contracts. Any smart contract can be registered a Job, and will expose methods for querying whether it has work to be done, and for actually running it by sending a transaction.

What is a Keeper?

Keepers are participants of the Keep3r Network who execute available jobs, in exchange for a reward. Keepers are on the lookout for available work on the registered Jobs, and when they find it, they send a transaction to the contract to get a reward back.

How is this related to Defender?

OpenZeppelin Defender is a platform that automates secure operations on smart contracts systems. Among other things, it simplifies the process of sending transactions to contracts on a regular basis. Defender provides Relayers that host private keys securely and handle the delivery of transactions, as well as Autotasks for triggering these transactions on a regular basis. These two components combined can be used to run Keepers seamlessly.

How do I set up a Keeper on Defender?

We all knew you skipped the past three sections and scrolled directly to this one, right? Here’s the guide you are looking for. Note that it requires an OpenZeppelin Defender account with mainnet access: you can apply for one here!

What’s new on Defender?

We have simplified the Defender Relay Client setup for ethers.js, so it does not require providing the Relayer address during initialization anymore. This allows us to share Autotask snippets that do not need to be adjusted by changing the from address, since it is automatically queried by the Client under the hood.

How much does this cost?

While access to mainnet Defender accounts requires a manual approval by our team, these accounts will remain free for the next 1-2 months. After that, we’ll start requiring payment for mainnet access. Even though the price point for mainnet is currently USD500 per team per month, we are analyzing adding a more affordable plan for users who are interested in just participating on the Keep3r network. We’ll share more news about this soon!

What else is coming up?

We are working on more enhancements to simplify the experience of running a Keeper, as well as providing a code-free interface to manage your Relayer. Stay tuned!

• Being able to send Relayer transactions from the Defender site, so you can bond the Relay with the collateral you want and easily transfer your KPR rewards out of the Relay to your wallet without having to write code for it.
  • Adding a custom Defender provider, so you don’t need to request an Alchemy, Infura, or Etherscan to prevent getting throttled when querying for jobs.
  • Showing Keeper information in the Relayer page, so you know whether your Relayer has been activated and the rewards earned so far.
5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: INVALID_ARGUMENT",“reason”:“invalid ENS name”

Amazing @spalladino, let me dig into your guide, congrats for your huge work on this.

1 Like

Ok so I went through the code and it is very clear to understand and did implement it and works like a charm. At least my relayer has registered automatically and I am now waiting for the 3 days and we will see how it goes. Again many thanks to @spalladino for this amazing job.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What benefit is there for adding collateral (bonded KP3R) vs not bonding?