The crypto in cryptocurrencies (and beyond)

Overview

Some of us in OpenZeppelin are interested in studying cryptography. We thought it would be useful (for us and the community) to do so in public. Over the next few weeks and months, we intend to produce a series of posts covering everything a generic developer would need to know about cryptography in order to understand blockchains at a fundamental level. We will then move on to cryptography as it is used throughout the ecosystem.

We welcome you to follow along, suggest topics and contribute wherever you can.

Structure

• Each post will focus on one core concept.
  • The intended audience has no previous mathematical or cryptographic training. Prerequisites should be listed explicitly.
  • Linking to good resources instead of reinventing the wheel is encouraged.
  • All posts (including this one) are wiki posts, so they can be edited by anyone.

Table of Concepts / Upcoming Topics

Core Blockchain Concepts

Additional concepts

• Multi-signature wallets
  • Hierarchical Deterministic Wallets
  • Hash Commitments
  • IPFS / Swarm
  • Zero Knowledge Proofs
  • SNARKS / STARKS
  • ZK Rollup
  • Verifiable Delay Functions
  • RSA Accumulators
  • BLS Signatures
  • ECIES
12 Likes

Could we include ECIES in the list of topics too?

4 Likes

Absolutely! Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sure! I love the community getting involved and proposing topics, making this a shared experience :books: :heart:

2 Likes

Excellent effort! If it helps, here are some materials on this topic we published previously at Bitfalls, hope you don’t mind my sharing:

Looking forward to more content!

4 Likes

Hi @Swader great to have you here as part of the community. Thanks for sharing your content. Please feel free to share with the community.

The crypto in cryptocurrencies series are wiki posts, so editable by everyone. If you have improvements, then you can also make them directly.

I really like the idea-instructions for public key cryptography:

1 Like

Of course we don’t mind! Education is a team game, especially on complex, multi-faceted topics

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Wanted: list of exchange sites