Oz/hardhat-upgrades unsafeAllow: "external-library-linking" error

I've been trying to deploy this upgradable contract in a hardhat testing environment and I'm having trouble with the external library linking inside the deployProxy function. I tried many different formats for the opts argument and I get two different types of errors.
If I use { unsafeAllow: "external-library-linking" } I get the error:

"before each" hook for "tests setUp":
     TypeError: unsafeAllow.push is not a function
      at withValidationDefaults (node_modules/@openzeppelin/upgrades-core/src/validate/overrides.ts:93:17)
      at withDefaults (node_modules/@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades/src/utils/options.ts:37:30)
      at getDeployData (node_modules/@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades/src/utils/deploy-impl.ts:50:32)
      at deployProxyImpl (node_modules/@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades/src/utils/deploy-impl.ts:71:22)
      at Proxy.deployProxy (node_modules/@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades/src/deploy-proxy.ts:46:28)
      at Context.<anonymous> (test/hardhat/setUp.test.js:221:27)

The other format I was trying { unsafeAllow: ["external-library-linking"] } and it gives me this error:

1) setUp Tests
       "before each" hook for "tests setUp":
     Error: invalid format type (argument="format", value=true, code=INVALID_ARGUMENT, version=abi/5.7.0)
      at Logger.makeError (node_modules/@ethersproject/logger/src.ts/index.ts:269:28)
      at Logger.throwError (node_modules/@ethersproject/logger/src.ts/index.ts:281:20)
      at Logger.throwArgumentError (node_modules/@ethersproject/logger/src.ts/index.ts:285:21)
      at EventFragment.format (node_modules/@ethersproject/abi/src.ts/fragments.ts:493:20)
      at /Users/cryptogirl/Documents/Solidity/FluidNFT/protocol/node_modules/@ethersproject/abi/src.ts/interface.ts:165:63
      at Array.map (<anonymous>)
      at Interface.format (node_modules/@ethersproject/abi/src.ts/interface.ts:165:36)
      at /Users/cryptogirl/Documents/Solidity/FluidNFT/protocol/node_modules/@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades/src/utils/deploy-impl.ts:113:41
      at resumeOrDeploy (node_modules/@openzeppelin/upgrades-core/src/deployment.ts:76:30)
      at /Users/cryptogirl/Documents/Solidity/FluidNFT/protocol/node_modules/@openzeppelin/upgrades-core/src/impl-store.ts:63:23

Also if I use the * /// @custom:oz-upgrades-unsafe-allow external-library-linking in the NatSpec of the contract it gives me the same error above.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'd greatly appreciate some help. :slight_smile:

:1234: Here's the code snippet giving me the error

LendingPoolContract = await ethers.getContractFactory("LendingPool", {
      signers: admin,
      libraries: {
        BorrowLogic: BorrowLogicLib.address,
        LiquidateLogic: LiquidateLogicLib.address,
        ReserveLogic: ReserveLogicLib.address,
        SupplyLogic: SupplyLogicLib.address,
      },
    });
    LendingPoolInstance = await upgrades.deployProxy(
      LendingPoolContract,
      [AddressProviderInstance.address],
      { unsafeAllow: "external-library-linking" } // error is coming from this line!
    );

:computer: Environment

Solidity pragma 0.8.16,
@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades: ^1.21.0,
@nomiclabs/hardhat-ethers: ^2.0.6

The { unsafeAllow: ["external-library-linking"] } option or /// @custom:oz-upgrades-unsafe-allow external-library-linking Natspec are correct.

The error that you are getting is coming from ethers. It looks like it could be some mismatch with the ethers version which is being used by the plugin and by your project.

Note that the 1.x versions of @openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades are no longer supported. We suggest updating to the latest @openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades v2.x and migrating your project to use ethers v6. See https://github.com/NomicFoundation/hardhat/releases/tag/%40nomicfoundation%2Fhardhat-toolbox%403.0.0 for how to update.

1 Like

thanks a lot! upgrading the packages solved the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like