Crypto Trends 14 September 2020

Crypto Trends

A summary of the crypto trends for the week.

OpenEthereum focusing on mainnet client

Client diversity is important for Ethereum, examples being the attacks started during Devcon 2 and for ETH2 on the Medalla testnet. Finite resources means the focus is on the Ethereum mainnet client.

This means farewell to Kovan testnet :pray:

Apparently this doesn’t impact xDAI chain.

Gitcoin Grants using Layer 2

Gitcoin Grants round 7 starts this week. Gitcoin is experimenting with Layer 2; zkSync by Matter Labs this round and then Loopring next round.

We are still waiting for a winner to be declared in Layer 2. I assume most projects don’t want to integrate a solution and find that they integrated Betamax when the rest of the ecosystem uses VHS. I thought that Reddit would be the ones to declare a winner but we may see another large project or group of projects do this instead.

I am still optimistic for Optimism as my preference is an EVM compatible Layer 2 but I have been told by Alex from zkSync that full support is overrated. Excited to see how this grants rounds go.

Eth2 Medalla Data Challenge

Ethereum Foundation is sponsoring a Medalla data analysis and data visualization blog post challenge.

I’d like to see some nice visualization of client diversity.

For detailed news see: Week in Ethereum News, EthHub, The daily GWEI and What’s New in Eth2

*Archive: Crypto Trends

Audits

Please contact the team when you are ready to request an audit!

Events

Jobs

OpenZeppelin are hiring:

Security Researcher - analyze the security of smart contracts and decentralized applications and write detailed, engaging reports on the vulnerabilities. Conduct open-ended research around cutting edge blockchain technologies.

Security Platform Developer - a fullstack developer building and launching a new SaaS product focused on operational security for smart contract systems. No Ethereum experience required.

Open Source Developer - a Solidity developer working on our open source tools and libraries, including OpenZeppelin Contracts.

Finally

Solidity is now a first class citizen in GitHub