Can we use OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0 with upgradeable contracts?

Asked via Intercom, can we use OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0 with upgradeable contracts?

OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0 is in release candidate currently.

There isn’t an ethereum package version of this currently so we can’t use OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0 with upgradeable contracts until there is either an ethereum package version or there is a transpiler.

1 Like

Hello @abcoathup,
I am working on a new project that heavily depends on openzeppelin-contracts-ethereum-package and I am interested in using solidity 6 and the new 3.0 SDK package (the new roles are awesome).

Is there some timeframe planned for these contracts to be integrated into the 3.0 SDK?
Is there some timeframe planned for these contracts to be upgraded into S6 (perhaps the v2.9.*)?

And lastly, is there currently any effort towards upgrading that package, perhaps a branch or repo where I can be used in parallel while those efforts continue?

Thanks in advance for all the time and awesome job the team is doing.

1 Like

Is there a ballpark timeline for:

1. Official 3.0 release
  2. Contract-ethereum-package release

It would help with planning, thank you!

1 Like

Hi @ccolorado and @asselstine,

A ballpark estimate for the final release of OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0 is early/mid April. Potentially week commencing 6th April, though this is subject to change.

I will have to come back to you on upgradeability.

3 Likes

Hi @abcoathup, any news on this?

thanks,

CAA

1 Like

Hi @CIX,

There is an open Issue for this: https://github.com/OpenZeppelin/openzeppelin-contracts-ethereum-package/issues/79

See the comments for the latest:

Support for solc 0.6 will be included in OpenZeppelin Contracts 3.0. Once that is released (it's still in release candidate period) we will release a version of this package.

Keep in mind that the it will probably not be possible to upgrade existing contracts across this major version, because there will be backwards-incompatible changes to storage layout.

Thanks @abcoathup for the Reply. I was more wondering when will the SDK include the contracts 3.0 upgradable functionality? Since it will not be backward compatible, I can’t really launch our token untill then… Do we have a timeline for it?

thanks,

CAA

1 Like

Hi @ccolorado, @asselstine and @CIX,

OpenZeppelin Contracts Ethereum Package v3.0 has been released.

2 Likes

:tada: That’s fantastic to hear! Just in time.

1 Like

Thats awesome news, thanks

1 Like