I am trying to understand the ERC standards. I found 17 different standards on the ethereum.org webpage. Some of them look familiar, such as the ERC-20 and 721 token standards, at least I have heard of them before and understand the ERC-20 has been used for ICOs and 721 for the Cryptokitties, I think.
Please help me understand:
- What are these ERCs good for?
- Do I need to know about them when coding smart contracts?
- Which ones are the most important ones to know about?
- Are these ERC standards just different types of smart contracts?
- What is the difference between a token and a smart contract?