Forking ethereum source code

I have a bit offtopic questions about forking ethereum and i think this is the best community to seek asnwers

• After forking ethereum, what kind of servers do i need to actually deploy it, will AWS work?

• How can i modify/patch it later? (How can i change already deployed blockchain - what tools do i need. For testing purposes i know ganache and truffle)

• Can i reserve some coins on specific address before deploying it

• Can i still have an ICO?

edit: forking source code

1 Like

Emmm, what do you mean forking ethereum, make a new chain? just like Kovan or BSC chain?

1 Like

Like Litecoin, they forked bitcoin source code

1 Like

After forking ethereum, what kind of servers do i need to actually deploy it, will AWS work?

it depends on your consensus of the new chain, such as the test chain Kovan, it is a Proof of Authority (PoA) publicly accessible blockchain for Ethereum, so for Kovan, it does matter, you can run the node on AWS, but for the chains of POW, you had better use a miner.

How can i modify/patch it later?

If you want to update the chain later, you can make some hard forks, such as the Byzantium for the ethereum, but this needs all nodes upgrade the node.

Can i reserve some coins on specific address before deploying it

Yes, you can, but you need to add the initial distributions in the proof of consensus, so every node will agree with it.

Can i still have an ICO?

Yeah

2 Likes

Hi @kanedaaaa,

Taking a step back, I suggest thinking through the following points (Similar to: Points to consider when creating a fungible token (ERC20, ERC777))

• What is the purpose of the network?
  • Why would someone need to use the network?
  • Could the solution operate on another network? (Mainnet, xDAI or another Ethereum based network)
  • Why would a developer build on your network? (And what tools would/wouldn’t be available)
  • Why would a user use your network? (And what applications/wallet would/wouldn’t be available)

You should seek appropriate advice on regulatory compliance and your solution should have appropriate testing and auditing

1 Like