Communication between 2 UUPS upgrade-able contracts

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forums. I tried to search around but I wasn't able to find a discussion regarding this issue i'm having.

I have 2 uups upgradeable contracts. The structure is pretty simply as follows:

proxy1 -> implementation1
proxy2 -> implementation2

Both implementations has a function defined, called myFunction.
FYI: I am using the recommended @openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades plugin

Problem:
Calling proxy2.implementation2.myFunction() from proxy1.implementation1.myFunction(). This throws an execution error.

Deployment and running the above scenario locally works just fine. I started to hit this issue when I pushed my code up to Ropsten.

I am unable to find out what the exact issue is because Ropsten doesn't really show you the stack trace.

I am able to call proxy1.implementation1.myFunction() and proxy2.implementation2.myFunction() directly without any issues on Ropsten. Just unable to call once upgradeable contract function from another.

:1234: Code to reproduce

How I make the call inside proxy1.implementation1.myFunction():
Proxy2ContractInstance('0x-proxy2-contract-address').myFunction()

As mentioned above, running above works just fine locally
Looking at the Ropsten transaction call trace. I can see proxy1.implementation1.myFunction() is called, then it invokes proxy2.implementation2, the function proxy1.implementation1.myFunction() is never called, and then the call fails

Wondering if there is a limitation with communicating between 2 uups proxies?

:computer: Environment

Ubuntu / Harthat / Solicity v0.8.12

So, i found the issue

I named the function myFunction same in both upgradeable contracts
I changed function name to myFunction1 in proxy2.implementation2 and that seems to fix the issue.

Not sure why this would happen though
This ticket can be closed i guess

The issue and the fix you describe sound a bit odd. If you share the Solidity code we may be able to get a better idea of what's happening.