TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'replace')

Hi OpenZeppelin Team,
First I want to thank you for maintianing such a useful package. The problem I had is that when I tried to create a proxy contract for an deployed contract using [upgrades.deployProxy], it shows this error:

The contract I wish to creat proxy on is deployed and verified on Binance smart chain testnet at address: 0x594EB80a2446ffcB65317Fb7b6683d6fe313DCf6.
I have verified the my hardhat config and in hardhat console I am able to interactive with that contract . So I guess the problem is not in my config. But here it is anyway:

My deployment script is down below so please tell me where I got wrong. I searched about similar error but still find my case unique. Pardon me if my research is not comprehensive. Thank you!

:1234: Code to reproduce

const {ethers, upgrades} = require("hardhat");

async function main() {
  // address & abi
  const contractAddress = "0x594EB80a2446ffcB65317Fb7b6683d6fe313DCf6";
  const abi =[{"inputs":[],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"constructor"},{"anonymous":false,"inputs":[{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"owner","type":"address"},{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"spender","type":"address"},{"indexed":false,"internalType":"uint256","name":"value","type":"uint256"}],"name":"Approval","type":"event"},{"anonymous":false,"inputs":[{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"previousOwner","type":"address"},{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"newOwner","type":"address"}],"name":"OwnershipTransferred","type":"event"},{"anonymous":false,"inputs":[{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"from","type":"address"},{"indexed":true,"internalType":"address","name":"to","type":"address"},{"indexed":false,"internalType":"uint256","name":"value","type":"uint256"}],"name":"Transfer","type":"event"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"owner","type":"address"},{"internalType":"address","name":"spender","type":"address"}],"name":"allowance","outputs":[{"internalType":"uint256","name":"","type":"uint256"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"spender","type":"address"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"}],"name":"approve","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"account","type":"address"}],"name":"balanceOf","outputs":[{"internalType":"uint256","name":"","type":"uint256"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"}],"name":"burn","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"decimals","outputs":[{"internalType":"uint8","name":"","type":"uint8"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"spender","type":"address"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"subtractedValue","type":"uint256"}],"name":"decreaseAllowance","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"getOwner","outputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"","type":"address"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"spender","type":"address"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"addedValue","type":"uint256"}],"name":"increaseAllowance","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"string","name":"name","type":"string"},{"internalType":"string","name":"symbol","type":"string"},{"internalType":"uint8","name":"decimals","type":"uint8"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"},{"internalType":"bool","name":"mintable","type":"bool"},{"internalType":"address","name":"owner","type":"address"}],"name":"initialize","outputs":[],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"}],"name":"mint","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"mintable","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"name","outputs":[{"internalType":"string","name":"","type":"string"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"renounceOwnership","outputs":[],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"symbol","outputs":[{"internalType":"string","name":"","type":"string"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[],"name":"totalSupply","outputs":[{"internalType":"uint256","name":"","type":"uint256"}],"stateMutability":"view","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"recipient","type":"address"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"}],"name":"transfer","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"sender","type":"address"},{"internalType":"address","name":"recipient","type":"address"},{"internalType":"uint256","name":"amount","type":"uint256"}],"name":"transferFrom","outputs":[{"internalType":"bool","name":"","type":"bool"}],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"},{"inputs":[{"internalType":"address","name":"newOwner","type":"address"}],"name":"transferOwnership","outputs":[],"stateMutability":"nonpayable","type":"function"}];

//create proxy contract
  const contract = await ethers.getContractAt(abi,contractAddress);  
  const proxcontract = await upgrades.deployProxy(contract, 
    ["Testing",
    "TSG",
    true,
    "0xbf780c00eD749ceaACC839e2dd183beA6d617fd1"],
    { initializer: "initialize"});

//deploy proxy contract & log
  await proxcontract.deployed();
  console.log("proxy contract deployed to:", proxcontract.address);
}

main()
    .then(() => process.exit(0))
    .catch(error => {
      console.error(error)
      process.exit(1)
    })

:computer: Environment

"devDependencies": {
"@nomiclabs/hardhat-ethers": "^2.0.6",
"@nomiclabs/hardhat-waffle": "^2.0.3",
"@openzeppelin/hardhat-upgrades": "^1.12.0",
"chai": "^4.3.6",
"ethereum-waffle": "^3.4.4",
"ethers": "^5.6.9",
"hardhat": "^2.9.9"
},
"dependencies": {
"@openzeppelin/contracts": "^4.6.0",
"dotenv": "^16.0.1"

Hi @byeWorld, the upgrades plugins currently do not support deploying a proxy using an already-deployed implementation address.

You would need to pass in the ethers ContractFactory (containing the source code of the implementation), not the actual deployed contract, as the first parameter of deployProxy. See this example. Note that this function will deploy both the implementation AND the proxy.

We plan to allow importing an existing implementation and separating implementation and proxy deployments -- please subscribe to those issues if you are interested.

EDIT: You can now forceImport an implementation contract from a specific address. Then when you call deployProxy with the same implementation contract, the existing implementation address will be used.

1 Like

Hi @ericglau , thank you so much for the fast response. My confusion is cleared up. I have subscribe to those issues. Have a great day!

1 Like