Trouble with testing when a contract has a selfdestruct operation

Hello. We use openzeppelin extensively in our project, and currently have 2 contracts in our project.json.
I’m attempting to add a third contract (PublicLock.sol) to the project. Running openzeppelin add PublicLock works as expected, adding it to the project.json. I’m also able to successfully run openzeppelin push --network development --force, as there is a selfdestruct operation in PublicLock.sol(I’m aware of the risks of this)
However, testing is not working.
We run our tests with truffle, via an npm script “test” (cross-env NODE_ENV=test truffle test --network development), but as soon as I add the new contract to the oz project, I can’t run tests anymore. The error is:

Error: One or more contracts have validation errors. Please review the items listed above and fix them, or run this command again with the --force option.
    at NetworkController.<anonymous> (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/src/models/network/NetworkController.ts:135:13)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/models/network/NetworkController.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/models/network/NetworkController.js:4:12)
    at NetworkController.push (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/models/network/NetworkController.js:93:16)
    at /Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/src/scripts/push.ts:21:22
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/scripts/push.js:8:71
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/scripts/push.js:4:12)
    at push (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/node_modules/@openzeppelin/cli/lib/scripts/push.js:18:12)
    at zosDeploy (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/migrations/2_deploy_unlock.js:12:9)
    at deployUnlock (/Users/overlord/DAPPS/unlock/smart-contracts/migrations/2_deploy_unlock.js:24:9)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)
Truffle v5.1.8 (core: 5.1.8)
Node v10.15.0
error Command failed with exit code 1.

Using the --force flag changes nothing.
Any thoughts on how I can proceed here?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @n44o,

I created a simple contract and was able to test using both Truffle and OpenZeppelin Test Environment.

Though I am not using push, only doing a create.

I assume that you are doing more in your test than my simple setup. If the following doesn’t work for you, if you could provide your test (or a cutdown version) and I can attempt to reproduce.

Destroy.sol

// contracts/Destroy.sol
pragma solidity ^0.5.0;

contract Destroy {
    function destroy() public {
        selfdestruct(msg.sender);
    }
}

Destroy.test.js (Truffle)

A similar test also works in OpenZeppelin Test Environment

const { expect } = require('chai');

const { TestHelper } = require('@openzeppelin/cli');
const { Contracts, ZWeb3 } = require('@openzeppelin/upgrades');

ZWeb3.initialize(web3.currentProvider);

const Destroy = Contracts.getFromLocal('Destroy');

contract('Destroy', function (accounts) {
  const [ owner, other ] = accounts;

beforeEach(async function () {
    this.project = await TestHelper();
    this.proxy = await this.project.createProxy(Destroy);
  });

it('destroy', async function () {
    await this.proxy.methods.destroy().send({ from: owner });
  });
});

oz create

OpenZeppelin CLI allows for contracts to be created (without intermediate steps)
A warning will be given for the selfdestruct (compared with a push which requires --force)

$ npx oz create
Nothing to compile, all contracts are up to date.
? Pick a contract to instantiate Destroy
? Pick a network development
✓ Added contract Destroy
- Contract Destroy or one of its ancestors has a potentially unsafe selfdestruct operation. See https://docs.openzeppelin.com/sdk/2.5/writing-contracts#potentially-unsafe-operations.
✓ Contract Destroy deployed
All contracts have been deployed
? Call a function to initialize the instance after creating it? No
✓ Setting everything up to create contract instances
✓ Instance created at 0xCfEB869F69431e42cdB54A4F4f105C19C080A601
0xCfEB869F69431e42cdB54A4F4f105C19C080A601

Hi @n44o,

I wanted to check how you got on with this?

Hi @abcoathup
Thanks for looking at this for me. I wasn’t able to resolve it, but the team decided to go a different route and use a custom script for deploying this contract, rather than the oz-cli.
That said, if others have an similar issue, I would be happy to help out, give more details, etc to help figure this out if it would help out the community.
Otherwise, we can consider it resolved for now.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi @n44o,

Thanks. Sorry that you couldn’t resolve.

We will wait to see if anyone in the community runs into this issue.