Image for "collection" not visible in coinbase wallet

Hi I am new and an nft artist.
This forum was allready very helpfull pointing me to the right directions in my research, but now I am stuck as I am not familliar neither with the 721 contract (Meta, Json, Uri) nor code…

sorry if this problem has been discussed before, it is a litle hard for me to make sense of the information given here as it is on the complex side for e noob as me : )

I hope someone like @abcoathup might spare me a minute and light some wisedom on my problem.
Thank You !

I am investigating erc721 contract standards because I do have this problem:

• “collection” image/icon/cover doesnt show in coinbase wallet app (android).

while the single nft “collectibles” all work/show fine with their “covers”. the “cover” for the “collection” doesnt. I asume there is a broken link in the metadata pointing to wrong adress or maybe even no link/adress at all.

I checked on etherscan the query for “tokenURI” and got the error
" Error: Returned error: execution reverted: ERC721Metadata: URI query for nonexistent token"

Repeat, the NFTs inside the collection show and work fine, so it is only about the collection “cover”…
As I said I have no clue on this topic, so what does this mean and how to fix this?
contract: 0xe91689222df19ac0b1748a3b8efac5858dfda48f

The “cover art” (dripping neonshit) shows fine on rari.com where I did crate this “collection”:
https://rarible.com/ets?tab=collectibles

thank you so much!
Eliot

ps: I do have an er1155 “collection” working fine and gives “ipfs” sting without errors for the same query. This collection shows all fine in the wallet too!

Hi @etsnftnoob,

I don’t know where the collection cover is taken from. I would suggest asking on an NFT-specific forum such as the OpenSea Discord.

1 Like

Dear @frangio thank you for replying.

You don`t know “where”… meaning:

• the location of the actual .gif (somewhere on rarible I asume as I minted it there)
    or
  • where in the Metadata this url is saved for the token/contract

?

Someone at open sea replied once to me but didn`t get back. Have to bump them.

Do you know by any chance where urls for images are usually saved in the Metadata and how I can read this info? If I could see the URLs I could double check and know if the problem is the Metadata or the location

thank you
Eliot

What I mean is that as far as I can tell there is no concept of “collection” in the ERC721 standard, metadata is specific to each separate token ID. So if a client application wants to show a collection image I don’t know where they would look.

Perhaps it’s taken from contract-level metadata?

Have you seen any other documentation about collection metadata?

1 Like

@frangio Thank you for you quick reply and your help!
Very much appreciated : )

I learned more about this topic…

You are right the term “collection” seams to be how the plattform names a smart contract.
So, when I say “collection” I am actually talking about the smart contract (what holds/rules several tokens/nfts).

Thank you for the information: contract-level metadata :hugs: !
This looks like what I am searching for.

I would like to know:

• how to access this contract-level metadata?
  • is “image” the actual correct term for what I decribe as a “cover”?
    The name “cover”, like “collection” is used on the plattform I created the contracts and nfts, so I asume this is their own terminology…
  • how to include an (ipfs) Image URL? That should be seen then in a Wallet…
    See image below. See next to it the “cover/image” of an ERC-1155 contract, so this is working:

PS, what I learned about contracts and tokens so far:

• erc721 is a smart contract with own adress.
  • this contract includes/rules Tokens like NFTs (each with own adress).
  • these tokens have their own ID written in the contract.
  • with this ID I can output the Metadata (JSON) on etherscan.
  • in that Metadata, info like: name and image are stored.
  • this Metadata is editable, can be changed.

@etsnftnoob If I understand correctly you don’t have any experience writing Solidity code. I would suggest you learn a little about writing your own smart contract. Solidity by Example can help.

Then you can write a contract like the one shown in Contract-level metadata.

contract MyCollectible is ERC721 {
    function contractURI() public view returns (string memory) {
        return "https://metadata-url.com/my-metadata";
    }
}

As the docs say, this must be a link to a file that describes your collection and one of the items in this description is an image, which is what you’re looking for.

I can’t help with a lot more detail than this, sorry!

1 Like

@frangio Thank you so much !
You absolutely pointed me in the right direction!
I was always looking for tokenURI rather than contractURI. :man_facepalming:

Finaly I could check the metadata and the ipfs link for the contract. This looks all fine.

So I am back at the support for the coinbase wallet. Maybe there is some incompatibility with the .gif anim file. I know from the past that there are options how to save a gif file and maybe something doesnt match up.

Anyway.

You helped a lot! And maybe some day I write my own smart contracts…

2 Likes

Same exact problem I’m having.

hi @DappDan , @etsnftnoob I have the same problem. The collection's image and also the NFT's image can not be shown in the CoinBase wallet

My contract standard is ERC-1155, I added both contractURI() and uri() functions into the source code.

The images are shown properly on OpenSea or in Metamask wallet

If you have already resolved your problem, could you please share some of your experiences?

It'll save my day.
Thank you in advance,