Missing OpenZeppelin node modules folder after installing

I am trying to install ERC20 smart contracts v3.3.0 from OpenZeppelin inside my project. The feedback from the terminal looks ok but I cannot see the OpenZeppelin node modules folder that should appear in my truffle project.

Truffle v5.1.56 (core: 5.1.56)
Solidity v0.5.16 (solc-js)
Node v12.19.0
Web3.js v1.2.9

:memo:Details
Installing using the terminal but node modules folder missing after installation

:1234: Code to reproduce
PS C:\Users\Asusupernova\Documents\ETH\React1 - Copy> npm install @openzeppelin/contracts@v3.3.0
npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Asusupernova\package.json’
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Asusupernova\package.json’
npm WARN Asusupernova No description
npm WARN Asusupernova No repository field.
npm WARN Asusupernova No README data
npm WARN Asusupernova No license field.

+ @openzeppelin/contracts@3.3.0
updated 1 package and audited 41 packages in 2.044s

2 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details
1 Like

Hi @Altaergo,

Welcome to the community :wave:

The first two warnings are that you don’t have a package.json file.
To initialize a project we can run npm init -y in our project directory (see: https://docs.openzeppelin.com/learn/setting-up-a-node-project#creating-a-project)

There isn’t a tag v3.3.0 for OpenZeppelin Contracts so I assume npm installs the latest version.
You can use either npm install @openzeppelin/contracts or npm install @openzeppelin/contracts@3.3.0

I tried reproducing on Windows and I get warnings if I don’t have a package.json file but a node_modules directory containing @openzeppelin and contracts is created.

Can you try doing this again with the project initialized (npm init -y).

1 Like

Thanks for welcoming me here, I am excited to learn Solidity.
I am getting mixed up by the order of operations.
Eventually, I want to use Truffle unbox react. And after running npm init -y in an empty directory, I get the basic truffle structure without the added components of Truffle unbox react.Do I override?
Also, just wondering why the package.json inside the client folder of unbox react isn’t recognized

1 Like

Hi @Altaergo,

As for the order, try the following in an empty directory:

npm init -y
npm install truffle
npm install @openzeppelin/contracts
npx truffle unbox react

For learning Solidity, I recommend going through: Solidity learning resources.

1 Like

Hi @Altaergo,

To specify the Solidity compiler version to use, you set that in your truffle-config.js