ERC721 NFT not automatically showing on Metamask mobile on Kovan

I am currently developing a ERC721 NFT (based on the great OpenZeppelin contracts), but they do not “automatically” show up in Metamask mobile on Kovan network.
However, I can see them if I manually (!) enter the ERC721 deployment address and the “Collectible ID”.

Does anybody know if this is just an issue with Metamask mobile?
Will it work on mainnet “automatically”?
(I have not deployed it yet on mainnet).

I also filed an issue on github …

1 Like

Hi @sven.meyer,

I don’t know if MetaMask Mobile supports any testnets for display of collectibles.

Some wallets use OpenSea for metadata, so I recommend making sure your NFT works on OpenSea.

OpenSea supports Rinkeby for testing. See: [DRAFT] Create an NFT and deploy to a public testnet, using Truffle

Hi @sven.meyer,

Were you able to find out if MetaMask mobile supports display of collectibles on any testnets?

not yet … Rinkeby could be a try, but Kovan worked best so far what I have been using in my project (like Chainlink)

1 Like

Hi @sven.meyer,

It can get challenging where tools/services only support certain testnets and you want to use multiple tools and they don’t use the same testnet.

Just tried rinkeby, same problem as on Kovan.
The NFT is minted, but does not automatically show up in Metamask Mobile, however it is being displayed once you type in the NFT contract address and tokenID.

1 Like

Hi @sven.meyer,

I assume that it isn’t supported for a testnet. You may want to reach out to MetaMask Mobile team to check what is and isn’t supported.

You could try Coinbase Wallet, as this supports public testnets. I can view some collectibles of mine on Rinkeby, though I don’t know if I needed to add them manually.

I already created an issue on github for Metamask mobile (see above, my initial post).

I also just installed Coinbase Wallet (version 23.2.347), and I was just about to write that it does not show my NFTs either, but looking at it a 2nd time, suddenly it shows the NFT on Rinkeby.

However, so far no NFT showed up in Coinbase Wallet when using Kovan testnet.

Is there some extra effort needed to find NFTs? Do you know what the problem is?

1 Like

Hi @sven.meyer,

Sorry, I had forgotten that you had already created a MetaMask issue.

My assumption is that some mobile wallets use meta data from a third party service such as OpenSea, and OpenSea only support public testnet Rinkeby.

As I wrote, etherscan manages to display the ERC721 transaction, the NFT name and NFT symbol on kovan.

The metadata would be retrieved from an external server by the URI provided by the NFT.

At this stage I don’t even provide a URL for external metadata, and would just be happy to see that there is a NFT, the name and symbol. Works on Rinkeby, but not on Kovan …

1 Like

Hi @sven.meyer,

The wallet would need a service to parse the testnet and record each ERC721 into a database to associate with each address. So I don’t think you will have this happen automagically on every testnet unfortunately.